Sunday, February 3, 2013

Review: Matched Ally Condie

Review: Matched Ally Condie
Synopsis:
Cassia has always trusted the Society to make the right choices for her: what to read, what to watch, what to believe. So when Xander's face appears on-screen at her Matching ceremony, Cassia knows with complete certainty that he is her ideal mate... until she sees Ky Markham's face flash for an instant before the screen fades to black.

The Society tells her it's a glitch, a rare malfunction, and that she should focus on the happy life she's destined to lead with Xander. But Cassia can't stop thinking about Ky, and as they slowly fall in love, Cassia begins to doubt the Society's infallibility and is faced with an impossible choice: between Xander and Ky, between the only life she's known and a path that no one else has dared to follow.

Before Reading Opinions:
The only reason I know this book exists is because of CassJayTuck from YouTube. I saw a review she did about it and it peaked my interest. I was just getting back into reading and the chatter I heard about it told me it was very  promising series. Without much thought I bought Matched at my nearby bookstore. The cover looked beautiful and the synopsis was intriguing so I wasted no time in reading it.
*WARNING*: THERE MAY BE SPOILERS IN THIS REVIEW!!!!!

My Review:

It's not often I can say this but the book wasn't as good I thought it would be. When I finished it I was disappointed because what I had read didn't match all the glowing reviews I had read about it. It felting lacking and I almost don't want to read the second one. Before the haters start hating this review let me just say there were some things I liked and even loved so here are the Pros and Cons of the books.

Pros-

The setting of the book was great. I loved it and was fascinated with the workings of the  Society. It was very clear that Condie spent a lot of time planing and building her world and it showed. The only reason I was able to finish the book was because I wanted to see how the Society would react to Cassia trying to fight the system. The way they decided every second of someones life was both terrifying and fascinating. The scene when Cassia spends the last dinner with her Grandfather horrified me. I can't image being in her shoes; going there and knowing that would be the last time I say my grandfather, I don't think I would be able to do it. It was the different scenes of when the curtain of the Society was pulled back was when my attention was fully capture by the book.  

I also enjoyed the different scenes when Ky and Cassia were talking about poetry or when he was teaching her how to write. It was touching and made me want to cry. The fact the Society bands knowledge is just terrible. As much as there are time where I hate taking tests and reading assigned school books, the thought of not being able to read what I want is sicking and not being able to write well, there no words. Those few scenes redeemed the book for me.

Cons:

Love triangles are a thing for ya genre now. It seems every single book I have read latly has a love triangle in it; it's gotten to the point where I can't stand triangles now. I don't mind reading a well written triangle. If the author is careful the love triangle can be a huge book dealer. Sadly in Matched the Romance was a triangle. I felt the romance story was boring and lacking. To me, it's not even really triangle. I felt like Xander was such a flat character. He wasn't very interesting and it was easy to forget him; if that was what Condie was trying to do than she succeed but I doubt it. It was the clearly the "bad" boy verse a "good" guy formula. I called it a few chapter into the book. Hopefully  Xander's character will develop more in the next book. Even though Xander was such a bore as a love interest the lack was picked up with Ky.  I did love Ky besides all the trouble he caused. I thought his character was well thought out and the similarities of the view on the Society between him and Cassia's now decease grandfather made me want to cry. He was nice blend of being sweet but not being overbearing as the second love interest. I am totally fine with him and Cassia getting together. There is no need more a love triangle in my opinion. He's the one. 

The next con in the book was the plot. The whole idea that everything happened because of a "mistake" is laughable. In this Society I doubt such a mistake would happen. The two names showing on the computer was clearing a plan  and I am dying to know what wanna-be master mind was behind it. It also leaves so many questions. Why did they do it? Why Cassia? Why Ky? I call bull on the Society taking claim that it was part of a experiment. Experiment my left foot, someone or someones wants Cassia to go through all the trials that will be happening in the next 2 books. Someone put Ky's name in the system to be matched and the Society is trying to cover it up by saying they meant for it to happen. You're not fooling anyone Society. If it was really just an experiment than you would have made sure Cassia took the stupid red pill. Instead you let her keep all her memories which is practically begging her to undergo a hero's journey. You will have no right to complain when she topples your kingdom over. None.

Overall:

I give Matched 3 stars out of 5. It would be a 2.5 stars but there were some good parts of the books I enjoyed. While the second book did bore me I am planning on reading both Crossed and Reached. I'm crossing my fingers that they will be better than Matched.

No comments:

Post a Comment