Saturday, January 26, 2013

Book Review: Delirium by Lauren Oliver

Book Review: Delirium by Lauren Oliver
Before scientists found the cure, people thought love was a good thing. They didn’t understand that once love -- the deliria -- blooms in your blood, there is no escaping its hold. Things are different now. Scientists are able to eradicate love, and the government demands that all citizens receive the cure upon turning eighteen. Lena Holoway has always looked forward to the day when she’ll be cured. A life without love is a life without pain: safe, measured, predictable, and happy.

But with ninety-five days left until her treatment, Lena does the unthinkable: She falls in love.


Review:
It was easy to fall in love with this book. Lauren Oliver did an amazing job in creating a world where the notion of being in love is more than just a deadly passion. With how she described it, to me, it felt like falling in love could be compared to being diagnosed with cancer. It's deadly, life ruining, and the person is never the same again. The fact that there is a "cure" for love is intriguing. I find it hard to believe people can simply go through an operation and no longer feel "love". I'm curious to see if it will be explained in more detail in the later books. I thoroughly enjoyed it and I can't wait to read the next to in the series

Setting:
Delirium takes place in an alternate reality where love is consider a disease and the society demands every single person to undergo a treatment when they turn eighteen to cure them of love.The setting of the book takes place in the United States in the town of Portland. It seems there was a war at some point in this reality because travel between cities is forbidden and the space outside of the electric fence surrounding the town is known as the Wild, where the rumor Invalids live. Anyone who is older than eighteen and has not undergone the procedure are consider Invalids. They are consider the bane of the world since they are still "diseased" and will be killed on sight if they are spotted.  

Characters:
Lena is probably one of my favorite characters out of the books I read this year. In the beginning of the book she is terrified of getting sick with delira (love). Considering her past, I can't blame her for that. Even though in the beginning of the book Lena might appear weak, she defiantly develops throughout the book. By the time book ends, Lena is nothing like her past self. She has learn some secrets about her family that has made her both angry and forces her to question if the society is right about love.

Alex is the love interest for this book and I have to say I like him. At first he appears slightly shallow but that opinion changes quickly the more Lena and I got to know him. It's because of him Lena finally snaps and decides the government is wrong when he shows her the truth about her mother. I also refuse to believe the worst fate possible happened to him at the end of book. I really want him and Lena to get together and run off into the sunset.

Hana is Lena best friend and one of the reasons Lena gets into so much trouble through out the book. The word that comes to mind when I think of her is wild child. I honestly thought she would get in trouble at some point in the novel because of her attitude. Right from the beginning she is questioning everything. I thought she would be the one who would fall in love and Lena would have to help her and not the other way around. To me it feels like she is one who planted the seed of doubt into Lena's mind and Alex was the one who coaxed it to grow. I hope we see some of her in the next book.

Plot:
I'm not going to lie I am glad I do not live in this world. I can't imagine a world without being free to love someone. The fact it is considered a deadly disease is more than just a little disturbing. Through out the book Lena is fighting with herself about how she feels about the operation she will be having shortly that will cure her of delira. She often think about her mother and how the sickness has affected her family. Her mother committed suicide because of it, her uncle disappear because the government thought he was a Sympathizer and then his wife died from a heart attack because the government was about to arrest her for her husband's crimes. Even her sister was diagnosed with it and had to go through treatment to cure her of it. Lena has a reason be scared. There are times when she ready to go ahead with the operation and other times she questions it. She is inconstant war with herself and falling in love Alex doesn't help. Being force to see how wrong the world is forces Lena to mature in a different way than those around her. By the end of the book, Lena has grown from a weak character who bows to the wishes of those around her to a independent girl who is willing to risk everything to be with the person she loves.   

Pacing:
While it wasn't hard to fall into the world of Delirium it did take some time for the story to become very interesting. After a hundred pages in or so I was hooked. I completely forgot I was in the car at the time. Once the pace picked up it was a non stop train ride. There were times where I was holding my breath praying everything would turn out fine and other other times where I could relax because I thought the worst was over only to be hit the a sudden plot twist. The ending of the book was jam back with action and the ending nearly made me scream. I'm really getting tired of cliffhangers; my heart can't take it anymore.

Overall I give the book 4 and a half stars. Now if you excuse me I am going to continue to cry in the corner because once again my heart has taken a beating because of the end of this book.



******SPOLIER******
 ALEX, PLEASE DON'T BE DEAD!!!!!!!!I refuse to believe it until I see your body. I'm in denial..


No comments:

Post a Comment